Join us for an online introduction to planning, writing, and evaluating wayside interpretive signs. This is a practical intro to the basics of creating signs: visual experiences for your visitors that are attractive, brief, clear—and effective. A good sign is one that gratifies the visitor and meets your goals. We will investigate creative ways to achieve both ends, from planning through execution.
- Types of wayside signs, and how an interpretive approach enhances them all
- The planning process: understanding your goals, your audiences, and your logistical environment
- Interpretive writing: how to say the right words, in the right way, within an extremely concise medium
- Using images, illustrations, and infographics, and how to work effectively with graphic designers
- Testing and prototyping interpretive signs.
Recommended but not required: Exhibit Labels: An Interpretive Approach by Beverly Serrell. Here's an Amazon link (I don't get affiliate revenue.)